Friday, September 27, 2013

New Orleans: When the Dragons Go Marching In

For a day off, the bus stopped in New Orleans between shows in Florida and Texas.
I was so anxious to see the city that I woke up early, even though I went to bed around 5 the night before. Wing was still asleep but I thought I would get an early start, grab breakfast and get a lay of the land. I walked from our hotel by the Confederate Museum to the "historic" part of town. I wanted to grab beignets for breakfast but the French Quarters was another 20 minute walk and I wanted to be back at the bus when Wing woke up. I'm glad I was there to greet him but I still regret that I never got my French donuts.

Once Wing woke up we grabbed brunch (lunch for me) at a cafe, he got a blueberry waffle, I got a Louisiana po-boy. We then went and watched a trumpet band at Lafayette square and looked through jewelry tents from local artisans. We got Wing an awesome ruby ring for stage and a gold necklace for me. The trinket on the chain is an actual Oak leaf that has been chemically treated and painted with gold.
Wing picked it out and I'm in love.
^^A bug flew in my mouth

We continued our journey walking up towards the French Quarters passing trolly cars and beautiful old buildings. I love all the gate work that line the large balconies on the classic "New Orleans" terraces. I would imagine N.O. would be the place to live if you were in the welding business. 
^^No one I'd rather spend the day with
^^We found a beautiful park
^^Wearing my new necklace on Bourbon Street

To be honest, I wasn't the biggest fan of Bourbon Street but I did enjoy the shrills of sound that poured onto the road from each karaoke bar we passed along the way. People watching is one of my favorite past times and there was no lack of material in New Orleans. There were people on the street that looked as though they had been partying everyday for the last 30 years, dancing barefoot, beads strung around their necks:)

My shoe started giving me a major blister on the walk back so my sweet husband let me put all my weight on him as I limped back to our hotel. I kept repeating "I just wanna get home" as the pain increased with each step. Just as we were a block away and I was on the verge of tears, I spotted a ballet class going on in the opposite direction so Wing smiled and laughed at my change of heart and helped me hobble over to watch through the window for a few minutes. I think I might be ready to take a class...yikes! That'll be a site. Since I used all my strength getting to the studio, Wing gave me a piggy-back ride the rest of the way "home."

For dinner, a group of us went to a hipster spot called Cochon, afterI changed my shoes of course. The food was INCREDIBLE. We all shared dishes of fried alligator, liver and pepper jelly, in-house cured meats, oysters, rabbit and dumplings, seared ahi, our own entrees and 3 different kinds of pie and ice cream for dessert. 
How am I not 1,000 lbs, yet?

^^Wing's ham hock entree and my fried (WHOLE) soft shell crab

We didn't get to sleep in the hotel that night:( Back on the bus at 1 a.m. and the journey continues.

Who Dat?

1 comment: