Thursday, November 21, 2013

Best. Day. Ever.

Yesterday. 
There was something about it. 
It healed me. 

My husband was good to me as we had a semi-planned/semi-spontaneous day exploring Nottingham.
I think most people would hate how we "vacation." Sometimes we hate how we "vacation." We stay up late in the hotel, sleep through half of the day, don't do enough research on what we want to see (sometimes we don't do any research and I just try to see what I can remember of my 10th grade history class), then we waste time looking for places that serve pancakes all day because it's already afternoon and we feel like breakfast and finally just wander where the wind blows us. Some days we love it. Some days we kick ourselves for missing opportunities. 

But back to yesterday...
We woke up late (of course). While I took my time getting ready, Wing looked up what to do in Robin Hood's hometown of Nottingham. We decided that seeing the caves built under the city would be our first priority. The walk wasn't too far but we decided to skip breakfast to make sure we made it through the tour before closing. 
**Warning: didn't capture the best photos. We were either in rain or in the dark but still glad I documented:)

The caves were amazing and I highly suggest them to anyone who is headed to Nottingham. They are in an unlikely spot, down an escalator of a large shopping center, but once you get inside it really takes you back. There are over 500 caves under the city and I believe they were built between 1200 and 1600 (don't quote me on that). They gave us a little gadget with a recorded tour that the two of us could follow along. It told stories of Robin Hood, King Richard, the people that stayed in the caves and what sort of activities went on down there from the tanning process of animal hides to secret meetings to bomb shelters during WWII. I have a soft spot for the Robin Hood section, I was Maid Marian for Halloween in Kindergarden:) Next time we'll have to see Sherwood Forrest. 
 ^^I look so weird but this is a room where they would hold secret meetings while a young boy above ground would look out for authorities. I am looking at the hole where the boy would drop a pebble down to warn the conspirators if the authorities were coming down into the caves. 
^^WWII bomb shelter
 ^^Cave selfie
^^Old drawing of the mini city underground. Some of the purposes of the caves made sense to me but in most cases those caves seemed like a dark, cold, stinky place to be.

After that we stumbled on a little Christmas village set up in the Old Square. How can you beat that!? Thirty-plus little cabins with white powder on the roof and Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and Judy Garland blasting over the speakers. A perfect Winter Wonderland. We were starving so we grabbed a legit HAM sandwich. Bread, pretty much an entire ham and mustard. If you know my eating habits, which you should;), you know I despise ham. Ham = Voldemort in my book. But I must have been ravenous because that was one of the most delicious things I have ever tasted. Breakthrough? Possibly.  

It normally really bothers me when people skip Thanksgiving and go straight to Christmas but I soon remembered that the UK doesn't have Thanksgiving so I embraced the X-mas cheer! Also, I'm a strange American anomaly that doesn't like Thanksgiving food anyway (see ham comment above) so I am slightly relieved I am avoiding the meal. **But I will take part in the giving of thanks and I will surely miss the family gathering (it's just the food I dislike)
 ^^Nutcrackers everywhere!
 ^^Cocoa with the works: mallows, whipped cream and a mini chocolate bar
We then picked up the most delicious Cadbury hot chocolates and Dutch puffed pancakes and cruised the village as they set up the ice rink. After that, we window shopped in the rain (dream) until we found a vintage shop. I purchased an old black T and a scarf in beautiful autumn colors for a great deal.
We ran back to the hotel to dry off and then met up with Angie, the band's tour manager, at the IMAX theater to see "Gravity" in 3D. We loved it. I've never seen a movie so visually stunning. First 3D experience I've enjoyed since "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience" at Disneyland. 

We ended our day with a romantic dinner date of Thai food.

 All the things we did yesterday were things I love. We saw something historical, wandered the city by foot, started off our Christmas season with a bang and went to the movies but I think it was more the company than anything that made the day so amazing. You know those days when you and your partner are just on? Wing and I are lucky to have those days more often than not but yesterday was special. Like a first date or that scene at the end of "Sleepless in Seattle" when they're on the top of the Empire State Building. I fell more in love with him by the hour. There's no one I would rather see the world with. Even if we usually aren't very good at it:)

***I should also note that today was also awesome. Breakfast with Dan and Ryan followed by shopping. The All Saints here is in a beautiful old train station. Plus I finally found a pair of fitted overalls!  It's taken a year.

 I really love the city of Nottingham. Small roads, quaint buildings, and not overcrowded.  It's exactly what you want out of an old English town. I would live here if my husband would come with me:) But he is an Yankee through and through. I really can't wait to visit again. One of my very favorite cities and one of my very favorite days with my favorite. 


No comments:

Post a Comment