Tuesday, November 12, 2013

We Heart Norway

Norway is and forever will be one of my favorite countries. We have a special bond, the Norwegians and myself...even if I'm the only party who is aware of the connection. 

We stayed at an amazing hotel called The Thief in a modern neighborhood right on the water in Oslo. All the buildings were 5-20 stories of beautiful windows with angular architecture. Just my cup of tea. The weather was crisp but it felt just right to be bundled up in my wooly mammoth of a fur coat. (I have been holding out as long as I could but I had to pull out the big guns in Scandinavia).
Wing and I took a long walk over to a restaurant called Cafe Fedora that Platzman had suggested to us. We walked in the door and were surprised to see Dan just about to order. Small world, that Oslo... He had apparently left right before us but had taken a different route (the one that wasn't along the graffiti covered freeway).
This restaurant made my night. I had been having a hard time keeping my spirits up with it being so gloomy in the day and the sun going down so early so eating delicious food and talking about New York City was just what I needed. The owners are a young, adorable married couple from America. It turns out he was a chef at Morimoto and Buddakan in New York City. YES & YES! (His wife worked for DVF while they lived there...fashion + food = they are pretty much the most awesome people ever). We talked about life and travel while he fed us the most amazing Huevos Rancheros I'ver ever had (He added raw cucumber for crunch and I highly suggest it). He also gave us a side of fresh homemade salsa and crispy bacon (why does no one serve their bacon crispy in Europe???) **If you are ever in Oslo go to Cafe Fedora! You won't regret it:)

I left the restaurant feeling so light, even though I was full of food. There was something about that experience that warmed my soul. Part of me thought, what a great life. I could work with my husband, we could meet interesting people, I could design the place and serve and he could cook and we'd live happily ever after. As I relayed this thought out loud to Wing, he brought me back down to earth, reminding me that we don't cook and we generally aren't very social with strangers. But I would like both of those things to change.  Running a restaurant may not be in the cards in this life but I would like to be a great cook and a less shy wall flower. (But still a wall flower)

No comments:

Post a Comment